Birsa Agricultural University was established on 26th June, 1981 after its formal inauguration by the then Prime Minister of India, Late Smt. Indira Gandhi. Its primary objective is to develop area specific technologies and manpower in the field of agriculture, animal husbandry and forestry for the agricultural development of the plateau region of Bihar and economic upliftment of tribal and other backward class population of the region. The programmes and activities of education, research and extension are carried out through three faculties (Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry and Forestry) with thirty five departments, College of Biotechnology, six Directorates, three Zonal Research Stations and farms, one University farm, sixteen Krishi Vigyan Kendras, Computer Centre, Central Library and other infrastructure and service units. Being a completely residential university, hostels for boys and girls, and residential facilities for Teachers/Scientists and supporting staff have been provided in the campus.
- Innovations in educational methodology and instructional technology have been
- The scheme of best teacher and best scientist award is being been introduced.
- The University has been connected with National Knowledge Network (NKN).
- Experiential Learning Programme has been revamped with farmer-oriented activities.
- Research programmes have been strengthened and streamlined.
- University has identified and registered three pigeon pea rhizobium strains isolated from acid soils of Jharkhand.
- A number of crop varieties are in pipeline.
- Research infrastructure has been improved both in laboratory and in farm.
- Extension education activities have been ‘strengthened. During the year under report KVKs organized 2325 training courses, 5586 frontline demonstrations and 170 on-farm trials.
- Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between University and Department of Agriculture and Cane Development for promotion of extension services throughATMA.
- Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) has been established for catering information services to the farmers.
- Directorate of Seeds and Farms has produced 3008 quintal breeder, foundation and certified seeds during the year under report.
- Thirty eighth Indian Agricultural University Association Vice-chancellors’ Conference was organized by the University.
- Strong linkages have been developed with Department of Agriculture & Cane Development, Govt. of lharkhand and Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- University website has been redesigned with webmail service.
- Financial Management and Human Resource Management softwares are in final stage of development.
- Biometric system has been introduced as a measure for human resource management.
- Central Library
- Digital Library
- Computer Centre
- Visitor Accomodation/ Guest House
- Laboratories for Entrepreneurial Development
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Faculty of Forestry
- College of Bio-Technology
- Centre for Agribusiness Management
OFFICIAL SITE OF UNIVERSITY :-
The Official Site of Birsa Agricultural University is www.bauranchi.org. Students can get all the details of the University by visiting this site. Students can also get complete details of syllabus of courses from this site. Admit Cards of Entrance Test can also be downloaded from this site.
COURSES/PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY BIRSA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY :-
(1) Diploma on “Food Processing” and Certification Course on “Fruit and Vegetable Processing Technology” are being offered in the Department of Home Science with mandate to generate expertise for self employment and employment potential in catering, food industries, hotels etc. The main thrust is hand on experience in different “Academic Institution” and “Food Processing Industries” are integral part of the diploma programme.
(2) Diploma In Watershed Management (DWM) : The Diploma programme consists of seven courses (Integrated with practical) and one practical course on project formulation equivalent to 32 credits (one credit is equal to 30 study hours) :-.
(3) Diploma Course in Aquaculture : Diploma and Certificate Course in Aquaculture are being offered in the Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Veterinary Science & AH with mandate to self employment.
(1) College of Agriculture : The college of Agriculture offers a four-year course leading to the B.Sc.(Ag.) degree. The programmes of the college are carried through a network of fourteen Departments viz. Agril. Economics, Agril. Engineering, Agricultural Physics and Meteorology, Agril. Statistics & Computer Application, Agronomy, Crop Physiology, English, Agril. Entomology, Agril Extension Education, Horticulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, Soil Science and Agril. Chemistry and Home Science.
(2) College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry : The College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry offers 5-years B.V.Sc. (degree) programme through a network of 17 departments namely Animal Breeding and Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Live Stock Production & Management, Veterinary Anatomy & A.H. Extension Education, Veterinary Biochemistry, Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, Veterinary Physiology, Veterinary Public Health, Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Veterinary Medicine and Aquaculture. Courses on Forage Crops Pisciculture and Apiculture are also offered to undergraduate students along with other production courses.
(3) College of Forestry : The College of Forestry offers four-years degree course leading B.Sc.(Hons.) Forestry degree. The faculty has five departments in the College, namely Silviculture & Agroforestry, Forest Biology & Tree Improvement, Forest Products Utilization, Natural Resource Management and Basic Science & Humanities. The Basic Science subjects are taught by the teachers of the Agricultural College of this University.
(4) College of Biotechnology : The College of Biotechnology offers Master’s Programme only. The college have six departments namely Department of Biochemistry, Bio-informatics, Embryo Transfer Technology, Fermentation Technology, Molecular Biology & Microbiology and Plant Tissue Culture.
Post Graduate Programme
(1) Master’s Degree : Four semesters are the minimum residential requirements for Master’s Degree for regular students. Degree is awarded by the Post-graduate faculty on the basis of course-cum-research studies spread over the whole period of 4 semesters. A student is required, to complete 37 credit hours of course-work and 15 credit hours of research work.
(2) Doctorate Degree : Six semesters are the minimum residential requirements of Ph.D degree for regular student. The degree is awarded by the University in post-graduate faculty on the basis of course-cum-research and thesis evaluation. A students is required to complete 26 credit hours course work and 45 cre(lt.t hours research work spread over 6 semesters.
Disciplines offering Post-Graduate Programmes
- M.Sc. (Ag.) only
Agricultual Physics and Agricultual Statistics .
- M.Sc. (Ag.) and Ph.D.
Agricultual Economics , Agricultual Entomology , Agricultual Extension Education, Agronomy , Horticulture, Plant Pathology, Plant Breeding & Genetics and Soil Science & Agril. Chemistry
- M.V.Sc. only
Live Stock Products Technology.
- M.V.Sc. and Ph.D.
Animal Breeding & Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Veterinary Gynaecology & Obstetrics, Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Anatony,Veterinary Microbiology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology, Veterinary Physiology, Veterinary Public Health & Epidemiology, Veterinary Surgery & Radiology, Live Stock Production & Management, Veterinary Biochemistry, Animal Husbandry / Extension Education.
- M.Sc. (Forestry)
Forest Biology & Tree Improvement, Forest Products & Utilization, Natural Resource Management and Basic Science & Humanities
- M.Sc. (Forestry)
Silviculture and Agroforestry
- M.Sc. (Bio-technology)
- M. Tech. (Agricultural Engg.)
- MBA Agribusiness Programme
- Agricultural Extension Education
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
- Plant Pathology
- Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry.
(2) Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Animal Breeding & Genetics
- Animal Husbandry Extension Education
- Live Stock Production & Management
- Veterinary Biochemistry
- Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Veterinary Physiolog
ADMISSION PROCESS :-
For Under Graduate Programmes :
(i) Admission to different undergraduate programmes is done through bifold procedure. 15% of total seats are filled by a Combined Competitive Entrance Examination conducted by I.C.A.R. V.C.I. at All India level and 85% of the total seats are filled by Jharkhand Combined Competitive Entrance Examination Board, Ranchi. The minimum qualification is Intermediate/10+2 or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Biology for all undergraduate degree programmes. However, the candidates with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are also eligible for admission into B.Sc. (Ag) and B.Sc. (Forestry). Students are admitted in unreserved and various reserved categories strictly on the basis of merit in the respective category through an entrance examination as per the reservation rules of Jharkhand state.
(ii) Semester system of education is followed in the University. Each semester consists of approximately 115 working days. The residential requirements for the award of Bachelor’s degree is eight semesters including Rural work Experience in B.Sc. (Ag.) and B.Sc. (Forestry), during the last semester. The residential requirements of B.V.Sc. & A.H. Course is of 10 Semesters. The last Semester consists of 6 month compulsory internship programme.
For Post Graduate Programmes
(i) The admission to different Post Graduate programmes with respect to Agriculture, Forestry, Veterinary Science, Agril. Engineering and Bio-technology is done on the basis of Entrance examination in unreserved and respective reserved categories. Reservation roster as decided by Govt. of Jharkhand is followed in P.G. admission.
(ii) In MBA (Agribusiness) students having Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Forestry, Horticulture, Fisheries, Dairy Technology, Agril. Engineering, Food Science, Home Science (from SAU only), Biotechnology, Biological Science and Food Processing /Technology are admitted on the basis of Entrance Examination, group discussion and interview. 50% seats are reserved for the residents of Jharkhand and reservation roster of the state government is applicable.
(iii) In M.Sc. Biotechnology, 50% seats are for students having Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Veterinary Science & A.H. and Forestry, and remaining 50% seats are for students having Bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology with Honours as per University rules and reservation roster of the State Govt.
FEES STRUCTURE :-
The University every year Revises its Fees Structure. The fees of the Available Courses will be mentioned in the Prospectus. The mode of fees payment will also be mentioned in the Prospectus. Students have to pay the fees accordingly before the due date.
Detailed syllabus of all the Courses granted by the university is being provided on the official website and is revised from time to time. Students can check the syllabus for the course they are applying by visiting the official site.
DATE SHEET :-
The date sheet will be uploaded in the official site before the commencement of exam. Students can download the timetables by visiting the site.
After the Written Examination the Result will be uploaded in the Official site. Candidates can Check their result by logging on to the Birsa Agricultural University’s Official Website. Applicants have to furnish all the details i.e Student Register Number and Password correctly for checking the result.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION IN BIRSA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY :-
(1) The Appliation Forms & Prospectus can be obtained in person during the office hour from the Office of Registrar, Birsa Agricultural University, Kanke, Ranchi – 834006 on cash payment of Rs.50/-. The Application Form alongwith Admit Carrd & Processing Fee (Non-Refundable) of Rs.1000/- for General/ BC-I/ BC-II and Rs.500/- for ST/SC Candidates in the form of Bank Draft from any nationalized Bank payable to Comptroller, Birsa Agricultural University, Kanke Ranchi – 834006 may be sent to address given below before the last date.
(2) Application for can also be downloaded from the www.bauranchi.org and can be submitted alongwith Processing fee to the office address before the due date.
(3) Application form complete in all respect alongwith the following documents should be submitted on or before the last date upto 5.00 P.M. to Dy. Registrar Examination & I/c Entrance Examination, Birsa Agriculture University, Ranchi – 834006.
1. Duly filled in application form
2. Duly filled in 02 copies of Admit Card
3. Bank Draft
4. Two Self Addressed and stamped (Rs.25/-) envelope (size 23×10 cms)
5. Self Attested Xerox copies of
a. Transcript/Marksheets/PDC of all examination
b. Character Certificate from Head of the Institution last attended.
c. Residential Certificate
d. Certificate for Reserved Category
e. Anu other relevant certificate.
For more queries drop your comments in the comment box. Our team of experts will try their best to sought out your queries. Keep tuned to our site for more updates.