The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is the apex board of education in India which is not only having a pan Indian jurisdiction but also has global presence with nearly 141 affiliated schools across 21 countries. CBSE grants affiliation to Schools up to higher secondary level and develops common curriculum keeping nationwide requirements in focus. The CBSE affiliation is considered as a prestigious recognition as it requires the schools to follow rigid quality standards.
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will commence their Class 12 exams from March 2017. Only two months are left for the exams and the students are seen dreading about the impending danger. The first exam is English, so, in this post we will provide strategy for the exam and also the sample papers for English so that the students can follow and practise them before going for their exams.
CBSE Board Class 12th Sample Papers 2017 – English
The English exam will carry 100 marks and has to be completed in a duration of three hours. Students should therefore now focus on solving the sample papers to get an idea of time management. With this the students should also tick to NCERT or CBSE books.
Exam Strategy for English Paper
Comprehensions/ Unseen passages: Candidates should thoroughly read the comprehension, at least twice, for the complete understanding of the passage. Candidates should note that the questions framed in the reading section are always in sequence i.e. the answer to question 1 will always be in the sentences before the answer to question 2.
Writing section: Candidates should express the thoughts clearly and using rich vocabulary. Use quotes or phrases by famous authors. This section analyses the writing skills and abilities. Remember to follow the correct format, as well.
Literature: Lucid and coherent answers should be written in this section. Express the views, clearly. Only answer what is asked about. Read the questions carefully, before answering them.
Presentation is also important while attempting the paper. Write neatly. Leave proper space, wherever required. Draw margins. Highlight the important words or phrases or sentences.
English Core Class 12 Syllabus
|Section||Unit/Area of Learning||Marks|
|C||Literature & Long Reading Text||40|
|(i) Flamingo + Value Based|
|(ii) Supplementary Reader – Vistas|
Section A: Reading Unseen Passages and Note-making
Two unseen passages with a variety of very short answer / short answer or MCQ type questions to test comprehension, interpretation and inference. Vocabulary such as word formation and inference of meaning will also be tested.
The total length of the two passages will be between 1100 and 1200 words. The passage will include two of the following:
- a. Factual passages, e.g., instructions, descriptions, reports.
- b. Descriptive passages involving opinion, e.g., argumentative, persuasive or interpretative text.
- c. Literary passages, e.g., extract from fiction, drama, poetry, essay or biography. A poem could be of 28-35 lines.
The passages can be literary, factual or discursive to test comprehensions. The length of one passage should be between 600-700 words.
A third passage of 400-500 words for note-making and abstraction.
Section B: Writing Skills
Short Answer Questions, e.g., advertisement and notices, designing or drafting posters, writing formal and informal invitations and replies.
Long Answer Questions: Letters based on verbal / visual input.
Letter types include
- Business or official letters (for making enquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders and sending replies)
- Letters to the editor (giving suggestions or opinion on issues of public interest
- Application for a job
Very Long Answer Questions: Two compositions based on visual and/or verbal Input may be descriptive or argumentative in nature such as an article, a debate or a speech.
Section C: Literature and Long Reading Text
Flamingo and Vistas
- Very Short Answer Questions – Based on an extract from poetry to test comprehension and appreciation.
- Short Answer Questions – Based on prose / drama / poetry from both the texts.
- Long Answer Question – Based on texts to test global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the texts to bring out the key messages and values.
- Long Answer Question – Based on texts to test global comprehension along with analysis and extrapolation.
- Long Answer Question – Based on theme, plot and incidents from the prescribed novels.
- Long Answer Question – Based on understanding appreciation, analysis and interpretation of the character sketch.
- Flamingo: English Reader published by NCERT
- Vistas: Supplementary Reader published by NCERT
Flamingo – 1. Poets and Pancakes; 2. The Interview; 3. A Road Side Stand (Poetry)
Vistas – 4. The Third Level; 5. Journey to the End of the Earth
Long Reading Text/Novel (either one)
- The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
- Silas Marner by George Eliot
Sample Papers for CBSE Clas 12th Mathematics
Sample papers help students a lot as they are essentially board certified question papers. Students can learn a lot about the type of questions asked and that helps beat stress. The other thing that sample papers help students with, according to experts, is time management. By attempting sample papers like actual board exam papers and giving themselves three hours, students can manage their time much better. Sample papers are a very important tool to understand the division of marks, type of questions asked and develop a familiarity with the examination patterns.
Below we are providing sample paper for English. Students can download them and start their exam preparation.
Click the below link for downloading English Sample Papers
English Elective CBSE :-
English Elective NCERT :-
We wish all the students best of luck for Board exams. For any queries you can write us in the below provided box and keep visiting our site for more updates.